Tuesday, November 24, 2009

International School Of Amsterdam



Among the things that I like about life in The Netherlands is Ilham's school, the ISA. The system, the curriculum, the teachers and everything else are different . I'm still not sure whether the difference is good for Ilham in the long run, but for now, I certainly welcome it.


ISA is an International Baccalaureate (IB) School and offers the following programmes
  • The Primary Years Programme (PYP)
  • The Middle Years Programme (MYP)
  • The Diploma Programme
The curriculum is based on subject areas of Language, Mathematics, Science & Technology, Social Studies, Arts and Personal, Social & Physical Education.



The PYP programme is organised around 6 transdisciplinary themes which supposed to have global significance intended to help children engage with their world and the world around them. Students explore each theme through a "unit of inquiry".

The classes at ISA are very colourful, cheerful and decorated with the childrens' work. Apart from the two libraries (one for LS and another for MS & US), each class has its own mini library.

As a parent, I could go into the libraries and borrow books as well. How I love that... When I sent Ilham to school, I would sometimes go into LS library and spend time browsing. There were sooo many books for children... and I found myself wishing I had all these when I was small :) So, instead of reading books or novels, I read books on "ants", "bugs" and realised that there are so many things that I didn't know..........

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails